Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!



It's Thanksgiving back in the United States and I have to admit that I am more than a little disappointed that I won't be around to partake in the festivities this year.  I am hoping I can have a sort of Australian mock Thanksgiving, but it won't be the same.  For those of you who don't know, Thanksgiving is an American holiday (there's a Canadian one too, but it's not as good) that originally gave thanks for a bountiful harvest but has since gone on to include expressions of thankfulness and gratitude for family, friends, etc.  Oh, and football (the American variety).  And parades.  Read about it here if you're really curious.

Anyway, I'll be brief today and just say that I made a little mixtape for everyone to enjoy this Thanksgiving.  There is only one "real" Thanksgiving song on the mix, the rest of the tracks are songs that I felt were appropriate in the honor of giving thanks.  I explain why each track was included below, so if you're curious, read up.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

  1. Adam Sandler "The Thanksgiving Song" - self-explanatory.
  2. Madness "Our House" - every year my entire family comes to my parents house to celebrate Thanksgiving so I felt this song was appropriate.
  3. Mystery Jets "Flash a Hungry Smile" - Thanksgiving is the one holiday where it is expected that you stuff yourself with food, and most people are flashing their hungry smiles all day before dinner.
  4. The Faces "Ooh La La" - this song reminds me of good memories with family and friends.  In slow motion, of course.
  5. Kings of Leon "Taper Jean Girl" - My cousins and I always tend to have a few (heaps) of "adult beverages" throughout the course of the day, and this is a great party song.
  6. Fang Island "Daisy" -no matter how we drunk we get, it's okay because it's a holiday.
  7. Passion Pit "Sleepyhead" - supposedly eating turkey makes you tired because it has high amounts of tryptophan, an amino acid that breaks down protein.
  8. The National "Mr. November" - Thanksgiving is always on the last Thursday of November!
Download the Thanksgiving 2010 mixtape here!

No comments: