Friday, October 17, 2008

So...Keane has a new album out...

So this past Tuesday, I decided to give the new Keane disc, Perfect Symmetry, a spin. I'll be the first person to say that I never really went for Keane's brand of what I always perceived to be, adult contemporary radio-friendly piano ballads. That and the fact that they have totally shunned the guitar, well let's just say I was never very interested *yawn*. But I decided, with nothing else really coming out this month besides the new Oasis disc (which is, as I expected, pretty amazing), I'd give Keane a shot. Besides, this is their third album, they have to be doing something right...right? Upon the first listen of the first track/single "Spiralling", I was hooked. The absence of guitar is cleverly and beautifully unnoticable. There are some moments where the boys seem to be reaching a little much...trying to evoke that sense of grandiose melancholic acceptance on an epic, deep space stage light years away, however it all pulls together and most importantly, it all comes back to Earth for an extremely pleasurable listen. And the video is the sort of 80's cheese I love. Sometimes. In moderation. Kind of reminds me of that Dire Straights song...the video I mean...I have to say that I wrote off Keane far too soon. I should've given them a shot. Oh well. I'm somewhat of a late bloomer in a lot of things. Puberty was not fun. Anyway, I highly recommend you check this out.

Keane - Spiralling Video


Keane - Spiralling mp3

Bonus Stuff!
Keane - Bend and Break
Keane - Everybody's Changing

No comments: