Saturday, October 28, 2006

The IBNH Halloween Mixtape, Vol. 4...The Final Chapter

So here it is. The final installment of the Halloween mixtape. I have to say that I had a good time putting these songs together. Hopefully they've offered a somewhat different Halloween listening experience, I don't know about you but "Monster Mash" and all that other hokey stuff that tends to get played on Halloween was wearing a little thin. Anyway, I don't want to ramble, so on to the tracks.

1. Muse - New Born - I felt that this song needed to lead this collection off because, well, it just grabs you immediately and violently shakes your entire body throughout its entire length. The vocals emit this sense of urgency, and the pounding bass and edgy synths will have the hair on the back of your neck standing up. Oh, and you might want to prepare for an anxiety attack.
2. Mogwai - Auto Rock - the gradual build-up to this multi-faceted song is the hook here, the soft piano melody slowly shifts into this full out, in your face electronic rock opera, with this ever looming around the corner drum beats, giving the song a nice ambient, yet ominous, feel to it.
3. Efterklang - Monopolist - a very ethereal track, one that melds a beautiful string arrangement with the little beeps and boops one might here in a Radiohead track or something. What works here is the sense that there is no hope, the lyrics convey a deep sense of loathing, "save me from myself, leave my body broken", I can picture this song playing over the ending credits of some deeply disturbing film.
4. U.N.K.L.E. - Rabbit In Your Headlights - I'm a bit biased when it comes to this song due to the fact that it features Thom Yorke on vocal duty. The song itself is purely chilling, with Thom's voice accompanied by the creepy piano and various electronic ambiance.

To conclude the Halloween mixtape I decided to throw some songs together that are a little more well known. Some of them are kind of corny and silly, but we all know them, others are just fun Halloween tunes. So as you enjoy the Halloween Mixtape, grab these more or less "hokey" songs as well. Enjoy and Happy Halloween.

Michael Jackson - Thriller
REM - I Walked With a Zombie
Boris "Bobby" Pickett - Monster Mash
The Cramps - I Was a Teenage Werewolf
Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
Car Stereo (Wars) - Hip Hop Halloween Monster Mash-up - this is actually pretty cool, it's based upon john Carpenter's The Fog, and includes songs like "Dare" and "Push It". Check it out, it doesn't disappoint.

No comments: