Saturday, September 23, 2006

VH1's You Oughta Know Artist is...just kidding

So I was watching VH1 the other day, possibly Flavor of Love or something equally trashy, and as the credits are rolling, this little side bar pop-up thingy appears under the headline, VH1's You Oughta Know: Artists on the Rise, and they're profiling Snow Patrol. Snow Patrol. Like they're some new hip band you better watch out for. As I'm watching I can't help but ask myself, "Hasn't Snow Patrol been around, oh gee, I don't know, like eight years!" Now don't get me wrong, I love Snow Patrol, but I couldn't help but think that the programming director/music advisor or whoever the fuck works there has to be moderately retarded. Now I have to worry about whether or not Zach Braff is going to include them on the soundtrack to his next installment of his Emo McHipster saga where he plays a charming, but afflicted, 20-something that is trying to "figure out what it all means" while falling for some girl who is a "slightly out-of-the-box" type because she does wacky things like sing in the rain or some equally annoying bullshit. Anyway, all of this culminated in me writing this post with the sole purpose of introducing you all to a band that actually is (well in my opinion anyway) an artist on the rise that hasn't been around for almost a decade and who we all haven't heard of yet. Introducing Surface.

The year was 2005. The place was Montreal, the birthplace of Surface (okay, I'm going to stop trying to type this up all melodramatic like). Taken directly from the bands website, "Surface was conceived as an outlet for musical experimentation." And it goes on and on. All you really need to know is that these guys create some heartfelt melodies, packed together with some very creative and ambitious sounds in order to create some very catchy tunes. If you lack imagination I suppose you can say that they're a cross bewteen Coldplay and Mogwai/Sigur Ros. Presently they've only released two EP's, however with the amount of critical acclaim that these guys are currently basking in, a major record deal and a full length album can't be far off.

Surface - Going Under

Surface - A Long Way Down the Landslide

Surface - Hide (highly recommended)

Since I'm feeling a little bad because even though Snow Patrol is a great band that has been around for years, I realize that some people may still be unfortunate enough to have never heard them. Although you should be ashamed, I offer a peace offering with these tracks from Snow Patrol. Enjoy.

Snow Patrol - Run / Snow Patrol - Hands Open / Snow Patrol - Same

And I have to end this post by posting yet another mp3, however this one differs from the rest due to the fact that it has nothing to do with any of the aforementioned bands. Or Zach Braff (thank God). This is a b-side to one of the singles off of Oasis' newest release Don't Believe the Truth, and it is really, really cool, so i would download it now, you wanna be indie hipster.

Oasis - I Can See It Now

No comments: