Thursday, September 07, 2006

The artists licensing their music for financial gain mixtape!


We've all been in this situation before, you're sitting watching your favorite television show, maybe it's House, maybe it's Lost. Whatever it may be, if you're watching without that magical pixie we call Tivo, then you're sitting through obnoxious 4 1/2 minute plus commercial breaks. Every so often during these commercials, the advertisers employ a catchy tune in order to help sell their product. At this point your ears may perk up and at the close of the thirty second spot you're left wondering who it was you just heard. Well, today is your lucky day. I have compiled a mixtape in which I have included some of my favorite songs that have been featured in commercial spots. Most are relatively new, while some you might recognize from ad campaigns from a few years ago. Either way, it's all gravy, baby.

1. The Bravery - Unconditional - this song is off The Bravery's debut disc (and only disc thusfar) and it's catchy as all hell, which is probably while Saturn (the car maker) used it in its ads a few months ago.
2. The Caesars - Jerk It Out - if you've never heard this song, you've either been living under a rock for the past two years or so, or you're just a fucking retard. Anyway, this song was used for one of those Ipod shuffle commercials.
3. Razorlight - Golden Touch - Razorlight has been one of my favorites as of late. I really like their style and I can't really help it because their songs are just so damn fun. This song was featured on a Pontiac G6 commercial a little while ago.
4. Spoon - I Turn My Camera On - Spoon is one of my favorite bands, and this song was used for a Jaguar commercial relatively recently (it seems as if a lot of car companies are secretly run by obnoxious pseudo-hipsters in disguise).
5. Ben Lee - Catch My Disease - this laid back little ditty by Ben Lee (who bears a striking resemblance to E.T.) is featured in a currently running ad for Dell.
6. The 5, 6, 7, 8's - Woo Hoo - I assume that most people are familiar with this song, if not, then refer to my write up on #2 on the mixtape. This song is featured in those clever Vonage commercials as well as Kill Bill Vol. 1.
7. The Kinks - Picturebook - I know this one is old, like three years or so, but it's such a great song and it was used in such an ingenious ad campaign for Hewlett Packard's line of digital cameras and accessories that it just has to be included on this mix.
8. The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You - not only is this one of my favorite songs of all time, but it was also featured extensively in a bunch of General Motors commercials over the years (what exactly is this song doing in a General Motors commercial is beyond me). Apparently General Motors works at a local coffee shop (Common Grounds for the readers that are in my general vicinity), eats tofu burgers, drives a run down '78 Chevy Nova, and is currently "working on his music".
9. Grandaddy - The Nature Anthem - I'm sorry but unfortunately I lack the ability to post an mp3 of this song that was used for a Honda commercial, however, I dot have the very entertaining video for you!
10. The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize? - this song was in every commercial from 2002 - 2003. Literally. I don't remember which ad campaign used it the most ( although I want to say that it was a phone company, like AT&T).
11. Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon - this song is featured on most of FX's Rescue Me promos, which stars one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet, Denis Leary. Oh, and it's a really good song.
12. Bloc Party - So Here We Are - I've said it before, Bloc Party is hands down, the best band to come out in the last few years. This song is featured in another Saturn commercial, but don't let the lameness of Saturn ruin this awesome tune.
13. Oasis - All Around the World - I don't know how much AT&T paid for this song, but the fact that all they use it for is the "all around the world" lyric at the very end of their commercials, leads me to believe that they're squandering a truly awesome song.

There you have it folks! Any complaints, praises, whatever, be sure to leave a comment. Until next time.

No comments: