Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Beneath the broken branches of twigless trees lies a spacious hole for you to crawl in and die...

I would assume that at this point, anyone who visits this site with any sort of regularity must know that I like to comprise collections of songs based upon some kind of theme that ties them all together. Today is no different. Some of you may be confused with the title of today's post, yes it seems dark and twisted, but it perfectly conveys the mood of today's collection of excellent music. I love music that has meaning. Something that I can listen to that will evoke a certain emotion in me is one of the most incredible connections any fan could have with their favorite artist(s). Some of the most powerful songs, in my opinion, are the ones that can make you feel the pain that the artist felt at the time of writing whatever song you're listening to. So without further rambling, I'll just move on to some of the most depressing songs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. (P.S. - the title to this post is from a poem I wrote and subsequently ended up just cannibalizing the good parts for use in other things, such as this post)
Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely - this song is probably one of the most haunting songs I have ever heard in my entire life. On a cold night, plug those awful ipod earbuds dangerously close to your ear drum, go outside and stare out at a lone streetlight or something, press play when the clickwheel rolls to this tune and don't be afraid to cry.
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - this song chronicles the story of a man who is trying desperately to hang onto the woman that he loves. he imagines them growing old together and dying in only a way that Jeff Magnum can. His lyrics quickly become very cryptic, however the emotion that is layered beautifully throughout the song remains intact.
Cat Power - The Greatest - this title track off Chan Marshal's brilliant latest release is crafted with such an intense sense of remorse and regret that Chan Marshal's incredible voice is really just icing on the cake.
Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film) - Thom and company wrote this song after seeing the last half hour of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. Thom stated that the end of the film made him cry, and the end result is an incredibly sad song. (On a side note, as you can probably already tell, Radiohead will be featured prominently in this post)
Sigur Ros - Untitled #4 - in all seriousness, I could include virtually any song by Sigur Ros, but this track off of their album ( ) (or two sausages kissing, as I like to refer to it as) is an epic, sweeping experience, from the low, moaning guitars and Jonsi's almost extraterrestrial vocals. I wouldn't be surprised if I heard this album being played in a funeral home.
Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You - yeah, I know. Sufjan Stevens is overhyped, yada yada yada. Believe me, I heard great protest from Kozma about the inclusion of this song, but I stand by my choice. And yes I know that this song is about God, but just pretend it's about some unrequited love and it instantly transforms into a very sad, depressing song.
Sia - Breathe Me - Sia has one of the most beautiful voices I've had the pleasure of hearing in a long time, and this song features her amazing vocals reciting some of the most heart wrenching lyrics in recent memory.
The Album Leaf - Over the Pond - this song captures a truly ethereal feeling, it embodies a unique "dream" quality, if that makes any sense to you. Jonsi from Sigur Ros is featured on vocals so it;s got that going for it. It almost sounds like he's saying "as soon as I look at you, I sigh" but I know that that's probably not entirely accurate considering he's singing in Icelandic.
Johnny Cash - Hurt - this cover of a Nine Inch Nails classic is absolutely devastating. The song is unbelievably powerful from the opening line, "I hurt myself today/to see if I still feel". I'm not going to lie, the first time I saw the video to this song, I cried. Literally jaw dropping.

That's all for today, I'm almost positive that Vol. 2 of this little collection will be hitting this site soon, so be sure to check back. As a bonus, I'm throwing in what could be one of the best hip-hop tracks I've heard in the past year...hopefully it will have the infectious beats necessary to lift you out of the "I hate myself and want to die" mood I've put you all in after the string of songs I've just posted, so hear it is, your uplifting track, Epic Man - More Is Enough (feat. Plan B)

No comments: